Scott Simons Architects designed a 20,440 SF addition to house an all new District Courthouse, including three courtrooms, a unified court clerks area, judges chambers, conference and meeting facilities, the law library, secured prisoner areas, and support spaces. We also designed renovations and alterations to the 1977 addition and the original 1874 Courthouse building, which is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
The project is an important one for the State Court System, because it brings the District and Superior Court functions together as a unified court system for the first time.
The project also required a total redesign of the site. SSA established a new accessible entrance for the District Courthouse, redesigned and reconfigured the parking lots with no loss of spaces, designed landscaping that unified the entire City block, and established walkways to reconnect the site to the fabric of the surrounding neighborhood.